Excellent for the bread basket or served with cold cuts and cheeses for an aperitif, the breadsticks are always amazing. In this entirely gluten-free recipe, they are prepared with gluten-free bread flour, yeast and water, and in less than two hours, they are ready!
You can garnish them with sesame, white or black, pepper, coarse salt, but also vary and offer them chopped hazelnuts, poppy or sunflower seeds and make these breadsticks unique and delicious.
The cooking times are relatively short. If they are not crunchy enough, keep them longer in the oven, so they can get drier.
For about 30 breadsticks (it will depend on the thickness and length), preparation time 25 minutes, leavening time about 1 hour, cooking time 20-30 minutes:
- 300gr of gluten-free flour mix for bread
- 200g of warm water
- 5g dehydrated yeast or 12g of fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Just enough sesame
1 – In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, add the yeast and mix well. Then pour in the gluten-free bread flour.
2 – Stir with a spoon and add the oil and salt. Work the dough with a spatula to form a loaf. The dough will be very soft, and it may not be optimal to knead it by hands. Do not add flour to make it more manageable, as the water will slowly be absorbed during the leavening. Cover with cling film and let it rise for about an hour – in the oven with the light on, microwave or pantry – It is crucial to keep it away from drafts.
3 – Once it has leavened and doubled its volume, divide the dough into 20g-portion, stretch them with a bit of flour, and form the breadsticks. Arrange them on a baking sheet and brush them with very little water and oil.
4 – Garnish with sesame seeds, a pinch of salt and pepper and bake for 15 minutes at 200° C. Then lower the oven temperature to 100° C and cook the breadsticks for another 15-20 minutes.
– Leaving the dough in a place away from the draft is undoubtedly the best technique for good leavening.
– Once cooked, keep the breadsticks in an airtight container to preserve their crunchiness.
– If you notice that the breadsticks have lost their crunchiness, put them back in the oven for about 10-15 minutes at 110 ° C to dry them further.